Thoughts and Riches

.....a blog about personal finance, motivational stories, deals, and special offers

Books
Web Domain Registration
Go Daddy $12.99 Turbo SSL Sale!
Banner
Get Started Now
Saturday, September 20, 2008
Problems with wireless connectivity
I have a Dell Latitude D620 laptop and use it to connect to the internet frequently using my WI-FI/wireless network. I was able to connect to the internet without any problem until recently, when all of a sudden, I could no longer connect to the internet. I was getting the following error:

Wireless Network Connection Not Connected. Right-click here for more options.

Searches on the net recommended that I check my router as well as my wireless network adapter.

My router and other wireless networks were working fine but I could no longer view the available networks – neither my own wireless network nor anyone else's in the vicinity. Using the Device Manager functionality (to access it, go to Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Systems Tools > Device Manager in Windows XP), I troubleshot the Dell Wireless network adapter but it indicated that the device was working correctly. I then updated the Dell driver. While I still couldn’t connect to the internet, I started getting the following error:

The Dell Wireless WLAN Card is still disabled. Slide the Wireless ON/OFF Switch to enable it.

I wasn’t aware of any Wireless ON/OFF Switch and initially had problems finding it. Finally, I found that it was located on the side of my laptop, next to the slots for the microphone and speaker. Sliding the switch restored my wireless internet connectivity and finally, life appeared to be good again! Seems while cleaning my laptop, I must have accidentally turned off the switch which led to all these problems.

As always, it was a good learning experience - all problems in life provide a valuable lesson. I should have been more careful while cleaning my laptop. However, fixing the problem was a bit of confidence booster as I'm a novice when it comes to computers but just by doing searches on the internet and playing around with various computer settings helped me resolve the issue, while saving me a trip to the repair shop as well as some money.
posted by Ruby @ 8:25 AM  
7 Comments:
  • At 4:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I love you !!!!! Really :)

    I had exactly the same problem... same error message and same laptop. The only diffrence between us is that I know how it happened : wrong choice of USB device stopped when I wanted to remove my external Hard Drive.

    Sarah

     
  • At 8:59 AM, Blogger Ruby said…

    Sarah,

    Am glad you found the post useful.

    Cheers,
    Ruby

     
  • At 7:10 PM, Blogger geoffrobinson said…

    I would have never have figured this out without you. Thank you.

     
  • At 12:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    We has the exact same problem on a DELL Latitude E6400, and now we found the switch, thanks to you! One wonders why there is such a switch...

    Anyway, thank you so much!

    MJ

     
  • At 9:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I had same problem with my Dell Latitude E64000.Thanks for the post, it solved my problem

    --Sesh

     
  • At 9:20 PM, Blogger Ruby said…

    Welcome! Am glad the post helped you.

    Cheers

     
  • At 11:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    thanks for taking the time for posting this - I lost an hour of my life looking for this ! hug!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 

See important Disclosure and Disclaimer

Favorite Quote
"If you look at what you have in life, you will always have more. If you look at what you do not have in life, you will never have enough".
                - Author Unknown
Disclosure
This site uses cookies from companies like Google and others to enable the companies to deliver their services, personalize their ads and product offerings, and for traffic analysis. Information about your use of this site is shared with these companies. By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies. Additionally, this site, including blog posts, may contain reviews, links, banners, text and other forms of advertisements for products, services, courses, and so forth of companies of which we may be an affiliate member or for which we may get paid for referrals. This site may also contain blog posts for which we are paid, as well as blog posts regarding products or services of companies from which we may have received complimentary products or services.
Reward Surveys/Panels/Shopping/Contests
Kellogg's Coupon Newsletter
Mint.com - Take Control of Your Money
Protect Your Computer Files
Upromise.com
Job Search site
Indeed Jobs
Yahoo! HotJobs - Job Postings
Monster
CareerBuilder
Credit Cards
Best Western Canada Credit Card - 20,000 rewards points: Apply Now!
Apply Now!
Insurance
Health: eHealthInsurance
Auto: www.21st.com
Travel
Phone Service
Investing
TheStreet.com 120x120 Best Seller Giveaway
Household
eFaucets.com
Babysitters
Nannies4hire.com
Find the perfect babysitter at Sittercity.com
Previous Posts
Archives
Favorite Charities
Disclaimers, Privacy Policy, and Disclosures
  • Disclaimer, Privacy Policy, and Disclosures

  • Third-Party Offer Disclaimer
  • Subscribe to Blog Posts
    Add to Google Reader or 

Homepage
    Bookmark this blog site
    Contact Me

    Email

    Web Site Link Exchange

    Link Exchange

    © Thoughts And Riches proudly powered by Blogger.